Whip Stich and Cable Stitch Effects.
I made up a grid of twelve 4×4 inch squares on white cotton and calico.
I decided to buy an extra bobbin case as I don’t really have the patience for fiddling about trying to find the default tension. Ironically even when I loosened the tension on the extra one it still stitched perfectly, I would even go as far as to say it was performing better than it does with the original case in! After lots of fiddling about and testing on white cotton and calico I was ready to begin.
Using black on the bottom and white on the top I started whipping!
Keeping it simple I used a straight stitch with both length and width staying the same continuously.
The first layer of stitches were evenly spaced. The space between each row on the top layer gradually reduced in distance apart until they were sewn as close together as possible and over each other.
Similar to 3.13 but just one layer of stitching with rows gradually becoming wider apart. The width and length stayed the same.
Again using a straight stitch the length was adjusted from longest to shortest as each row zigzagged over the square. Each row gradually becoming closer together as the stitches became shorter.
The width of the zigzag stitch changed from 2.0 to 7.0 from left to right with the length of stitch staying the same.
The width stayed the same and the length of stitch became shorter as the stitching spiralled towards the centre of the square.
Continuing with a zigzag stitch and keeping the width of stitch the same I altered the length of stitch from 1.0 to 5.0 from top to bottom. I changed the length of stitch at different times in each column. An alternative approach would be to try harder to change lengths at similar times making the columns look more even.
Moving into cable stitch I wound white stranded cotton onto the bottom bobbin and used black machine thread on the top.
3.19 3.20 3.21
3.19, 3.20, 3.21 were done exactly the same as 3.13, 3.14, 3.15 except the effect is different because of the change in threads.
I changed the bobbin thread to black cotton and the top thread to white machine sewing thread.
3.22 3.23 3.24
3.22, 3.23, 3.24 were done in the same way as 3.16, 3.17 and 3.18 . I had changed the bobbin thread to black stranded cotton and the top to white thread. I think 3.24 was the least successful in showing changes in tone.Perhaps better spacing between rows would have improved this.
Using the black/white combination gave a bolder result in comparison to the white /black combination although I think the white/black combination has given more pleasing results. The Cable stitches have a nice textured effect whereas the whipping stitch makes lovely speckled marks.