Warming up to a resolved sample I enjoyed experimenting with paper and finding different ways to disintegrate the surfaces.
I found the crumpled pieces more interesting than the smooth ones. Some techniques worked better than others and some ideas came to me by accident, e.g. tearing apart glued surfaces which had stuck together and grating cheese for a sandwich lead to wondering if paper would grate too!
I used double sheets of paper for this little experiment as I thought the paper might fall apart too much. I already had a small sample of stitched paper (c and j above) so I wanted to take this (s) a bit further. I threaded the machine and pulled the thread out. This pulled ridges in the paper and tore it in places. For (t) I found dampening the paper first made the paper disintegrate easily when it was rubbed. This time I left the stitching in too.
Moving on to bigger and better shapes I used a simple asymmetrical star shape developed in earlier chapters.
A second shape had developed as a result of playing with the above star. I also disintegrated this shape over 4 samples as above.
I could have taken this further by tearing each section more but really it was time to move on to my third thoughts.
I then moved on to using coloured paper. I had some small pieces left over from the early chapters of module one which was really handy!
I have now progressed to disintegrating fabric shapes.
I used calico, scrim and cotton for the initial stages of this.
it was not easy manipulating the fabric into recognisable shapes whilst shredding them. I sometimes ended up with a heap of fibres with no shape at all. I thought this was taking disintegration a bit far! The last shapes (bottom right) were made from a combination of scrim and a cotton background, not the most successful combination for the purpose but I was able to experiment with my ideas better!