When I taught art to primary children, I seemed to do a lot of mono printing! The children loved the surprise of seeing another image emerge and if things were not quite what they hoped for we had great discussions about the piece anyway, and went on to better things! This was always great fun for me too (although could get stressful with a class of 33!) and this is why I was looking forward to doing this part of chapter 5.
The tools of the Trade!
The images marked 1, 2, 3 etc, are made with black acrylic on white paper, a, b, c etc using white acrylic on black paper.
1. 2. 3. 4.
1. was created by lightly running a toothbrush horizontally then making curved marks over this. Some areas have a 3D look.
2.I used the short end of a small piece of wood. (It is very small, you can see it on the pale blue card, l.h.s, in the image above). I layered the diagonal strokes which, I think has given it a latticed look.
3. A more controlled pattern here using a rubber tip. (I think this tool is really meant for blending pastels.)
4. Similar marks to 2, but using a palette knife. I call this the ruffled feather look!
a. I made these marks using folded card. It was then printed onto tissue paper.
b. I used white paper which had been painted with black ink from an earlier exercise here. I used folded card to make the marks.
5. 6. 7. 8.
5. I used my piece of wood to scrape away patches of paint then added swirls using my rubber.
6. I wanted to have some variation in tones so I re-used paint instead of adding more as it got soaked up. I used a piece of cardboard tube folded in half for this one. The paint was getting quite dry and I had to press into it firmly to get these marks.
7.Using the rubber again I made lots of swirls varying in size and ‘swirlyness”.
8.This one was produced using the edge of a piece of card. The horizontal lines were dragged across the paper is some places. Most of the lines were simply dabbed on with the thin edge of the card.
c. Looking back through my sketch book for inspiration I saw a drawing I had done which was a close up of the gecko’s skin. This drawing showed hexagonal shapes. I used the palette knife to create similar shapes. I think this was a very successful image.
9. 10. 11.
9. I used the toothbrush for this one!
10. A store card was used to lift the paint.
11. Using the remainder of the paint I used the palette knife to scrape the paint off. It had just been cleaned it water and left watery marks where the movements finished. One of those unexpected events!
d. I was using a cotton but try to remove the paint but really I was just shifting it about. A scraping approach would have been more sensible.
e.I solved the problem by using torn paper to mask out areas.
12. 13. 14.
12. I used the corner of the piece of wood to make the swirls and dots here.
13. Continuing with the swirls, I used a flat paint brush to make all the marks here.
14. This last one for the turtle is not as successful as a lot of ghosting from earlier pints appeared.
I used the edge of the palette knife to make the hook shaped marks.
f. I used black tissue paper here. I started by using the rubber making circles within circles and wavy lines between. I then used the edge of a piece of card to scrape away more ink from the outer edges of the circles.
g.Using black paper and a flat paintbrush on the white paint, I tried to create a pattern resembling the carapace of the turtle.
15. 16. 17.
15. Lines sweeping horizontally and vertically were made first followed by smaller lines cutting over this using a store card.
16. Soft lines in all directions made with a cotton bud.
17. The paint was thinning and drying again. I used the tip of the palette knife to score crisscrossed lines. I think this could be a print from the real thing!
h. Using tissue paper and a palette knife I scraped the paint in a ‘square’ spiralling motion. Some of this has a 3D effect which I like.
i. I did a similar technique to h, but on paper and it with more cutting through shapes.
18. 19. 20.
18. The pain was scraped away using a piece of card.
19. A more symmetrical pattern here, made with a cotton bud.
20. More use of the cotton bud loosely making long loops which gradually become wider.
This chapter was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to the next one!