My embroidery and creative stitching experiences.

Translating a cut and fold design into bonded fabric appliqué.


For this chapter I had to choose a cut and fold design from chapter 4 to translate into a fabric design using bondaweb. This is great stuff and easy to use.

Choosing one design to alter was too difficult as I can’t pick one when I like so many so I made a few based on a variety of designs. Some I think worked okay and others I am not so keen on any more!


sketch book p 66 (3) take photo


Image 1 above was inspired by a design in Chapter four on design page 1.  I have  used a shiny, shimmering yellow bottom layer . The next 2 layers were cut from the same symmetrical shape which was placed slightly differently on the folded edge.

These images show the process I went through for the designs in image 2.


I have used bondaweb on the top 2 layers.  The bonded orange cotton cut well leaving shapes that could be reused.


2.                                 3.                                             4.

distant stitch 30005  trying on blue silk adding the star shape

Image 2, top right, was inspired by another design on the same page as image 1. I used blue silk for the bottom layer. The shimmering pale yellow material sits in opposite corners and orange cotton was layered over this. The bondaweb was great at supporting the cotton fabric while I cut out the thin bands of the star shape. The next design on image 2 was made from the left over pieces from the orange cut out star. These pieces were laid over dark blue cotton.

Image 3 was inspired by an asymmetrical design on design page 3  in chapter 4. It was quite tricky manipulating the thinly cut, fine fabric star over and under the top purple layer. Again the bondaweb helped to support this design. I think I overheated the fabric when ironing it as patches of glued areas show up more than I would have expected.

Image 4 here was also inspired by an asymmetric design on page 3 in chapter 4. I used four stars cut from 4 different fabrics backed with bondaweb and slotted them together before ironing onto the bottom dark cotton layer. All the stars were made from fine delicate fabrics. Two gold and two blue/purple hues. The border was made from the same shiny gold fibrous cobweb-like material as one of the stars.

Decorative bonded fabrics with ‘bits’.

bits in purple organzabits iin yellow cotton and gold organza.

I made 3 samples using bits.  I used two sheets of purple organza and sandwiched snippets of other materials and threads from my colour scheme on one side before ironing together. For the yellow sample I used a combination of yellow cotton and gold organza.

I used part of the yellow-backed sample for another simple design. I finished this off with a band of light weight blue  cotton stars placed over  the negative space cut from the purple material. This was based on a design in chapter 4 on design page 2.

design using made fabric.


 distant stitch 30006

Image 5 shows the completed design but also shows the yellow cotton with and without the bits and the organza it was bonded with.


distant stitch 30007

The top image on 6. above, was based on design number 5 on design page 1 in chapter 4. I have substituted the original circle shape for a square . The handmade purple paper has a nice textural effect which works in harmony with the bonded purple material. A striking centre was created using bright yellow felt which although a heavier material, continues the textural nature of the piece.

The last image shows the positive shapes cut from the design above which makes a less striking but calm and pleasing design.


painted bondaweb

Using leftover paints from earlier work I stamped star shapes over the bondaweb. The dark blue/purple paint was thick on the paper. As it dried the paper became ridged and I wondered how successful this would be in a design. I used less paint for the yellow design and the paper dried quite flatly and smoothly.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The following comments relate to 8. above.

I was pleased with the results when I cut out stars and ironed them onto the purple paper I had used in image 6. The dark painted bondaweb has a thick , smooth appearance. I was pleasantly surprised that it ironed flat and evenly. The yellow star had a nice variety of colour showing on it and has a more delicate looking finish.

If I were to do this again I would try out some other ideas I have.

1. Print the shapes so they connect but don’t overlap. Iron onto fabric.

2. As above but trap ‘bits’ underneath onto another piece of fabric.

3. Print over the bondaweb thinly and unevenly  and iron onto a similar coloured fabric for use in a design.

I had lots of little snippets of bondaweb left so I pieced them together to make another star. You can see how this developed in the slide show above. I had to space out pieces so that I could remove the paper backing before adding another layer. It was a wee bit fiddly but a pleasing way to end this chapter.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Judith stitches ...

My progress towards City & Guilds Level 3 Embroidery Certificate, with Distant Stitch

Jamila Ibrohim

A Passion for Weave and Stitch

Teresa's Textiles

My progress through The Taster Module in Embroidery, with Distant Stitch

Hue Bliss: Color & Art notes by Karen Gillis Taylor

Finding art inspirations in the world around us

E.B's Blog...I'm in Stitches!

My embroidery and creative stitching experiences.

%d bloggers like this: